Tips for Pet Owners

Contents:

Shaving Down Double Coated Breeds

Chocolate Toxicity In Dogs 

Summer in Florida - Hurricane Season

Your Puppy's First Visit / Spaying & Neutering

Health Benefits To Spaying & Neutering

Dog Age & Equivalency to Humans

 

Page One / Page Two / Page Three

*Shaving Down Double Coated Breeds*

 

Many clients come in and ask us to "shave" down their Husky,

Golden Retriever, Labrador Retriever, etc.

These are dogs that typically do NOT get haircuts.

So why do clients come in requesting a haircut for these types of breeds?

They feel this is an easy way to reduce shedding and keep the dog cool.

WRONG! This is NOT the answer!

A dogs coat provides insulation from the heat & sun!

Dogs do not perspire like humans do. They only perspire from the pads of their  feet

and from their noses.  They do not "sweat" like humans do.

A Husky, Golden, Lab, Malamute even a Newfoundland will be cooler with their coats on.

There is one important factor in this theory. Their coats must be kept

thoroughly brushed out.  Matted coats or coats with packed in dead undercoat

will restrict airflow to your pets skin. Therefore making him uncomfortable.

Shedding: It may seem like a great idea to shave all the hair off,

sure no more hair all over the house!

Well, shorter hair all over the house anyway...

What you are doing when you shave your double coated dogs,

is actually interrupting the natural 

shedding process. You are cutting into the top coat,

possibly damaging it & cutting into the undercoat also 

possibly causing damage to it.

By interrupting the natural shedding cycle, you can actually be

producing MORE shedding. The exact opposite of what you want!

What is the answer?

Keep your double coated breeds thoroughly brushed & combed out.

Keep them well groomed & they will be comfortable even in 

the hot sun of Florida.

Do you know that 90% of the clients that come in to request

having their dogs shaved, because their dog is hot & uncomfortable

actually have overweight dogs?

Look at your dog, is your dog overweight? When you walk or run with your dog,

do they pant & get tired? Consider that it's not the dogs fur at all causing

him to be uncomfortable. If your dog is overweight, that is why he is 

panting & tired after exercise! 

Consider keeping the well groomed fur on your pet & shedding off the excess pounds instead!

*Chocolate Toxicity In Dogs*

 

Never give your dog chocolate!  Chocolate is toxic to dogs.

Here are some facts about Chocolate Toxicity:

The ingredient in Chocolate that is toxic to dogs is Theobromine.

The good news is that it takes, on average, a fairly large amount of theobromine 100-150 mg/kg to cause a toxic reaction.

Although there are variables to consider like the individual sensitivity, animal size and chocolate concentration.

On average, Milk chocolate contains 44 mg of theobromine per oz. 

Semisweet chocolate contains 150mg/oz.

Baker's chocolate 390mg/oz. 

Using a dose of 100 mg/kg as the toxic dose it comes out roughly as:

1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate

1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for Semisweet chocolate

1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for Baker's chocolate.

So, for example, 2 oz. of Baker's chocolate can cause

great risk to an 15 lb. dog.

Yet, 2 oz. of Milk chocolate usually will only cause digestive problems.

Clinical Signs

Xanthines affect the nervous system, cardiovascular system and peripheral nerves.

It has a diuretic effect as well.

Clinical signs: 

Hyper excitability 

Hyper irritability 

Increased heart rate 

Restlessness 

Increased urination 

Muscle tremors 

Vomiting 

Diarrhea

Treatment

There is no specific antidote for this poisoning.

And the half life of the toxin is 17.5 hours in dogs.

Induce vomiting in the first 1-2 hours if the quantity is unknown.

Administering activated charcoal may inhibit absorption of the toxin.

An anticonvulsant might be indicated if neurological signs

are present and needs to be controlled.

Oxygen therapy, intravenous medications,

and fluids might be needed to protect the heart.

Milk chocolate will often cause diarrhea 12-24 hours after ingestion.

This should be treated symptomatically (fluids, etc..)

to prevent dehydration.

If you suspect your pet has ingested chocolate

contact your Vet immediately!

They can help you determine the the proper treatment for your pet.